The Reading Horizons Discovery software provides K-3 students with the strategies and skills they need to become confident readers through fun and engaging interactive lessons.
At a GlanceProduct: Reading Horizons Discovery K-3, software
Format: Computer Software
- 63 interactive lessons teach students the 42 Sounds of the Alphabet, Five Phonetic Skills, and Two Decoding Skills
- 22 Most Common Words Lessons
- 13 Reference Lessons aligned to requirements of the Common Core State Standards
- Built-in assessments assure proficiency after each lesson, chapter, and comprehension exercise
- The Vocabulary Word Wall allows students to practice decoding skills while building their vocabulary
- 64 full-color, age-appropriate stories help students transfer decoding skills to connected text
- Six fun and engaging games can be accessed with the coins students earn in the lessons, vocabulary section, and reading passages
- The Administration System allows educators to review assessment data, generate customizable reports, set student options, and receive notifications about student progress
Purpose: Reading program for emerging and struggling readers.
Cost: $199 (includes license for two children)
- 60-day money back guarantee
- Free top notch customer support to ensure you will implement the program effectively for the best results.
- Free phonics training for parents or tutors so there is no guesswork in implementing the program.
- Student evaluations so you can determine your student's strengths and weaknesses.
- Foolproof teacher scripted instructions will give you the confidence to succeed at this program.
- Games and activities that reinforce skills and keep the child engaged.
- Multi-sensory and uses the Orton-Gillingham method
- Software program is all inclusive or use with the printed materials if that suits your child's needs better.
Our ThoughtsSimply put, the program is effective and fun for the child. The student side is filled with games and activities to encourage reading fluency. The parent side of the program offers detailed student evaluations and guided videos to ensure your success. Reading Horizons has every interest and desire to see you succeed. In that vain, they offer an array of guided instructions, videos, and amazing customer service, to ensure success. You are never alone if you use Reading Horizons. This is especially important if you have never taught reading from an Orton-Gillingham method or you have a struggling reader or dyslexic child. It is no secret that this program is one I highly recommend.
Now, here is the skinny on the program. While navigation of the parent side will take some getting used to the features, such as the detailed evaluations and support, make it a cut above the rest. The student side has adorable graphics to engage your student without being overloaded with intensity. The images are colorful yet calming which makes it easy to focus on the lesson. Here is what you really need to understand...if your child is an emerging reader then the software alone may be just what you need. However, if your child is struggling or dyslexic, you may want to consider purchasing the printed teacher guided instructions. My child is dyslexic and the pace of the software was a bit fast at times and lacked explanation. With the teacher instructed materials, the lessons are in sync with the software and you can easily help your child navigate or offer additional practice. My child learned best when I used the physical materials and allowed her use of the software as a supplement. However it works best for you the combination of the two sources is gold for a struggling or dyslexic student.
I want to emphasize that Reading Horizons is not a program suited only for struggling or dyslexic students. While the program is effective for students with special needs, it is quite effective for emerging readers as well. The method is sound for teaching all readers how to read.